Sunday, July 24, 2011

Review of "Growing up Amish"

I have recently been exploring the topic of Christian masculinity on this blog, and intend to continue addressing faith, courage and wisdom in future posts.  However, I recently read a book which I would like to share a few thoughts about, and am interjecting this review for this week's post.

I discovered the book "Growing up Amish" while shopping this past week. I was in Sam's Club to pick up some milk, etc. and as I wandered the aisles for a few moments I decided to browse for a book to read.  This particular book appealed to me, as I know very little about the faith and culture of the "simple" lifestyle practiced by some of patients and families I encounter as a hospital chaplain.  In my service in Michigan and Indiana, I have met Amish, Mennonite and German Baptist families, and have been intrigued by some of the customs, dress, family and church support structures, etc. As I read a few paragraphs from the book, I thought it might offer a window into the culture and faith represented by the title.  I also enjoy biographies, and it quickly became apparent that this was the early life story of a man who was sharing his journey and struggle to develop an individual life and faith incorporating elements of his youthful milieu and "rebellious" elements of a self-chosen path.

"Growing up Amish" is the memoir of Ira Wagler, the son of a widely-known writer within the Amish community.  As he grew up in his large family and strict culture, Ira rebelled at various points in his life.  He left his Iowa home at 17 to work as a cowboy on a Nebraska ranch, but returned to his home, family and church.  Several more episodes of leaving, but being drawn back, occurred before his final breach with the Amish church and culture at the age of 26.  He refers to the 20+ years which have passed since that breach in the epilogue, but the book is primarily the story of a young Amish boy who becomes a man with a deep but separate faith from his early influence.

I did find some of the insights into the faith and culture that I had hoped for, and think it will prove useful in my chaplaincy interactions with some of our patients and families.  Ira provides a helpful background to the German Anabaptist roots of the Amish tradition, and offers his personal criticisms of some of the dry stoicism balanced with a respect for the strength of tradition and interdependence.  He is able to honestly share his frustrations with some of the lengthy, boring services he attended without losing sight of the generosity and care exhibited by the close-knit communities. I learned more about the "Rumspringa," or "running around" time some Amish youth experience after turning 16.  I also found the ministerial selection process of the community described here both fascinating and troubling. Additional details were also provided about the tradition of utilizing a horse and buggy for local transportation, but having an openness to hiring "English" drivers to transport people and goods long distances by automobile when necessary.  I first encountered this practice in Michigan, when an Amish child came into our ED after a farming accident.  The Amish community was a couple of hours' drive from our facility, and the child required inpatient admission.  I was vaguely aware of the horse-and-buggy tradition, and decided to ask if transportation would be problematic during the hospital stay.  The family politely thanked me for my concern, but informed me that they had hired a driver who would stay with them as needed, and would return if necessary as well. I was hopeful that this apparent contradiction between refusing to own an automobile, but riding in one when needed, would be explained further.  I do think I have a better understanding of the principled but pragmatic stance of the community after reading this book. While this was not a doctrinal treatise of the Amish church, the references permeating this account do give me a richer understanding of the traditions and practices, which I think will be useful to me in ministry.

My greatest benefit, however, was the pleasure of reading an enjoyable biographical account of a man coming of age and struggling with his relationships with family, friends and God.  His stories of hard work on the farm, family joys and disagreements, and romantic relationships and struggles resonated deeply with my own life experiences.  I appreciated the openness and simplicity of the author's voice, and felt that I was being invited into a conversation about his life and faith.

I would recommend the book highly, especially to other readers interested in biography, faith and simple lifestyles.

1 comment:

  1. I have also really enjoyed Ira's book. As far as I'm concerned it is by far the best Amish memoir out there.

    ReplyDelete