Saturday, September 17, 2011

Christian Masculinity: Wisdom

This post will be the final entry in this series on Christian masculinity, with today's reflection focused on the concept of "Wisdom."  Wisdom is a very broad category, with multiple angles to discuss as we seek to understand what it means and how to apply it in one's life.  I hope to share a few thoughts regarding how living a life with wisdom can enable a Christian man to find meaning, purpose, and fulfillment,  and to live with greater joy and fewer regrets than by carelessly taking each day as it comes.

My current devotional reading is also focused on wisdom from Scripture.  I have read through the Bible several times, and recently chose a reading plan which consists of reading through the Psalms and Proverbs multiple times over the course of a year.  Today's reading included Proverbs 8, and v. 11 speaks directly to this topic:

"For wisdom is better than jewels;
and all desirable things cannot compare with her. (NASB)"

What is wisdom?  In my opinion, wisdom can best be defined as the ability to apply knowledge to life in a manner which utilizes life experience, spiritual insight and critical forethought about likely outcomes of actions taken. Wisdom is much more than knowledge.  In my work in healthcare chaplaincy, a common experience is facing circumstances when we can offer a powerful medication or surgical treatment to extend life (and sometimes simply to prolong death)- but, based on prognosis and likely outcome, and the values of the patient and family, should we intubate, offer CPR, etc.?  Knowledge alone is often inadequate.  Life experience can also be inadequate.  Another example from my vocational history is encountering patients who are very anxious about a relatively common and safe procedure such as cardiac catheterization.  Discussion sometimes reveals that they had a family member undergo a similar procedure, and then develop complications and die.  Life experience alone can lead to decisions which are weighted heavily by isolated occurrences rather than balanced logic. Multiple other scenarios can be offered to enlighten the discussion, but I would simply like to offer the concept of "wisdom" as an overarching term to describe using knowledge, spiritual insight, etc. to guide an approach to living well.

Throughout my reflections on Christian masculinity, I have used examples from the life of Joseph to illustrate concepts of compassion, faith and courage.  I believe Matthew 2:19-23 also illustrates obedience and wisdom in the life of Jesus' earthly father figure.  Herod had died, and Joseph receives a dream telling him to return to Israel.  As he journeyed home, he integrated information about political leadership to guide his change in direction to live in Nazareth:

"But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning over Judea in the place of his father Herod,
he was afraid to go there.  Then after being warned by God in a dream,
he left for the regions of Galilee, and came and lived in a city called Nazareth.
This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophets:
'He shall be called a Nazarene.'"
(Mt. 2:22-23, NASB)

Despite my preferences, life does not consistently move along in a predictable and orderly fashion.  I would like to be able to face vocational choices, relational conflict, and financial difficulty with unquestioned clarity about "This is precisely what you should do next." Unfortunately, that doesn't happen very often in my experience.  However, I think that reality helps me to develop and grow into the man God has called me to be.  My children are not yet adults, but I take much more pleasure in seeing my teens make good decisions on their own volition than I would by directing each of their steps as a "helicopter parent," hovering and making simple decisions for them. (They would also push me aside if I tried!) I hope they will learn and develop into young adults who can choose their own path through life with faith, wisdom and decreasing support from parental influence. My belief is that God guides our lives in a similar way, rarely breaking in with dramatically specific guidance at crucial turning points.  In many of the day-to-day decisions, I am convinced, God leaves men and women to read Scriptural truth, live in relationship with other believers, and learn to apply truth to life circumstance.  I would like to believe God often cheers from the sidelines of the "arena" of human experience, celebrating when we decide to sacrifice for the good of others and waiting to pick us up when we fail. Life is a challenge and adventure: The "abundant life" includes risk and reward, rather than safety and boring predictability.  Wisdom involves applying learned principles to life situations, with the hope of reflecting joyfully in the sunset of a life well lived- and even into eternity.


No comments:

Post a Comment