Sunday, February 20, 2011

I Corinthians 13 template

How do we measure whether and how we are offering our best to family, friends and our community of faith? One tool I learned about in seminary has remained with me through the years, though I've admittedly used it sporadically.  One of the most famous passages used (at least in part) to define a lifestyle of loving others is the elegant example offered in I Corinthians 13.  Verses 4-7 specifically highlight the standards of a lifestyle reflecting the love of Christ.  The template which never fails to challenge me is to reflect upon these verses by reflecting upon whether these characteristics are demonstrated in my interactions at home, work and church by substituting my name wherever these verses originally use "love."  

Charles is patient, Charles is kind and is not jealous; Charles does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; he does not seek his own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 

Unfortunately, I am usually reminded of this exercise long after one or more of these statements has been proven false by my actions and attitudes.  However, it is worth reflecting on in my opinion to seek to correct attitudes and behavior, and to maintain an aspirational goal of the kind of people we are called to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment